Tuesday 1 October 2013

Bald Statement 2008


I was literally making everyone of my classmates bald back then in 2008. I mean not literally but in my series of paintings. The Bald Statement. Sounds pretty interesting but in actual fact, the reason to why they are bald is plainly because I dislike painting hair.

The thing about making them bald is that it exercises the brain to visualise their head shape. I loved how they actually cooperated with me to make faces so that they at least have creases on their face to create extra shadows.

Dawn
Oil Paint on Canvas
210 x 297 mm
2008

Hilmi
Oil Paint on Canvas
210 x 297 mm
2008

My experience with portrait paintings was with the help by many as they share their skills on portrait painting as well as doing some research.

A friend used to be my mentor in oil painting and shared some tips with me about oil painting and portrait painting. The trick to it is to NOT use Flesh Tint and to always start with the darkest skin tone color first. 

Chuck Close is my inspiration in portrait painting though I have not achieved the photo-realism skills yet. He is a great inspiration to me as he carries on painting despite his deterioration in health which paralysed him. 

Thanks for reading!
-kiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment