Friday 4 October 2013

Faris 2013



So I started my love for watercolour as soon as I laid my hand on it. Practice makes perfect. During my free time, I would experiment on different techniques and explore the medium. 

So portrait is my favourite so I decided to paint my boyfriend's portrait and it was suppose to be an experiment painting based on my basic knowledge of watercolour which was shared by my boss while I was teaching in Studio Haroobee.

It was hard to keep the highlighted areas remain white and the dark areas to get any darker. The challenge about watercolour painting is that its irreversible in a way that you could not get back the lighter colour once you applied a heavy coat on it.

Faris
Watercolour on Watercolour Paper
297 x 420 mm
2013

One thing about the way I paint is, to really paint a good portrait is to really know the person. If Im unable to know the person in real life, it is quite challenging for me as I cant visualise that particular person to be painting them. It takes good observational skills to do portraiture. That's what I love most about portrait paintings. It challenges your eyes and the projection of the image through your brush strokes.

Though I was not to satisfied about this painting, I decided not to keep it but rather give it to him. I guess he have plenty of his portraits done that he'd be sick of it soon but knowing how vain he is, he'll probably keep it around his room.

Thanks for reading!
-kiki.

No comments:

Post a Comment